Free online EFL activities and videos

Exercises in pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary, FCE and more...
TV clips with transcripts and comprehension questions.
Reading activities based around well known topics or events.
Songs with lyric gap fills and follow up activities.
Links to many more useful pages for learning and teaching English


Thursday 9 August 2012

Writing a short story


Writing a story...

*4 paragraphs
              1. Background information
              2. The main part of the story
              3. The main part of the story/climax
              4. Climax/what happened after climax


*It all began when I was sitting in the living room and the phone rang. I picked it up and was surprised to discover that it was my old school friend Jane. She said that she had moved back into the area and informed me that she was on her way to my flat.

*All of a sudden I felt a cold shiver up my spine. I couldn't believe what I had just agreed to. As far as everyone in the village was concerned; Jane Ramsey had been dead for over ten years.

*Shortly afterwards there was a loud knock on the door. I had to put my mind at rest so I opened the door. She gave me a warm hug and said that it was great to see me after all these years. She hadn't changed much, apart from being older.

*I later found out that she had been put into care and her mother was too ashamed to tell anyone what had happened. Looking back , I remember thinking it was strange that I never got invited to the funeral.

  1. Find examples of different tenses and describe their purpose in the story.
  2. Find examples of expressions and phrasal verbs in the story.
  3. Explain the function of the words in bold in the story.

Put the words and phrases into the correct category:

  1. Beginning 2.) Ending 3.) sequences 4.)surprise 5.)describing a moment

Suddenly,  Finally,  Once upon a time,   Meanwhile,   A little later,   quite unexpectedly,   eventually,   out of the blue,  later that day,  One day,  Not long afterwards,   On a stormy night,  In the mean time,
When it was all over,   As if from nowhere,  Without warning,  To make matters worse.


Plan a story of between 120-180 words that begins with the following words:

  1. It was 5 o'clock in the morning and there was a knock on the door.
  2. It was very exciting but I wouldn't like to do it again. (Ending words)
  3. I knew I had to leave that city as soon as I possibly could.
  4. Suddenly I woke up and realised it had all been a fantastic dream. (Ending words)

*Write one of the stories above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.