Free online EFL activities and videos

Exercises in pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary, FCE and more...
TV clips with transcripts and comprehension questions.
Reading activities based around well known topics or events.
Songs with lyric gap fills and follow up activities.
Links to many more useful pages for learning and teaching English


Friday 21 September 2012

Writing an informal letter



Writing informal letters

Opening greetings: Hi Jill, Hello,
Closing greetings: all the best, best wishes,love, hugs and kisses xx

Opening lines: how are you?, How's everything in/at... How's things/it going.. I'm sorry I haven't been in touch/written for ages/so long/a while.

Closing lines: Will write again soon. hope to hear from you soon. Take care of/look after yourself. Make sure you write soon. Well, I've got to go now. Send my love to... Say hello to...for me.

Responding to previous letter/email
Saying thank you:Thank you/thanks (so much) for your letter/email/message.
It was great/really nice to hear from you.
 good news:  (it was)great to read about...(I was) glad to hear about...That's great news about your...
Bad news: I'm extremely/really sorry to hear/read/find out about... It's very sad to hear...

introducing points: By the way, Did you hear about... Another thing, Have you seen... I wanted to ask you if/whether... I was wondering if... Can you let me know if...

1. Write 120-150 words in an appropriate style
Your Scottish friend, Maggie, has sent you an email asking you to help her organise
a special surprise birthday party for her brother Rupert. Read Maggie’s email
and the notes you have made. Then write an email to Maggie using all your notes.

We must make sure that Rupert doesn't know we are planning this surprise.
I'm not sure how many people to invite but our house is definitely too small.
Do you think we should book the Royal hotel for the evening and have the
party there? You know that Rupert is very keen on music so we could hire
a live band.

I've also been wondering what we could all buy as a present. What do you think?
Could you come the day before the party to help with preparations.
There's a lot to plan so I'd really like your help.
Can you suggest something else that will really make the party special?

All for now,
best wishes,

Maggie

Your notes:
Paragraph 1 - Royal Hotel sounds OK but very expensive
Paragraph 2 - Rupert really enjoys fishing
Paragraph 3 - Sorry, busy that day.
Paragraph 3 - Something else - Yes, how about ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.